View Video Transcript
Discount Codes for Your Shopify Store
A great marketing strategy for your Shopify store is offering discounts to your customers.
EcomBack will teach you how to add discount codes to your Shopify store.
How to Create a Discount Manually
- On the left-hand side, under “Marketing,” you will see “Discounts.” Click on this to get started.
- There are two options: Automatic discounts and creating one manually. Manually create a discount count by clicking on “Create Discount Code” in the “Discount codes” section.
- First, enter a code that customers can enter at checkout. For instance: “Free20.”
- There are four types of discount codes to choose from. Percentage, Fixed amount, Free shipping, and Buy X get Y.
- The “Countries” section allows you to limit the discount to either all countries or selected countries. You can also exclude shipping rates over a certain amount.
- For the percentage option, you can type in “Value” a percentage to give shoppers 20% off (or however much you want), a fixed amount lets you discount an item to a specific price you want, and buy x get y allows for a discount such as “Buy 1 Shirt Get 1 Hat Free” or “Buy 2 Shirts Get 1 Free,” and so forth.
- If you want this discount to apply to all products, then you will select “All products” in the “Applies to” section. You can also apply it to specific collections or specific products.
- For “Minimum requirements,” you can set a minimum purchase amount (For example: customers can only get a discount if they spend a minimum of $100), or a minimum quantity of items. You can also select “None.”
- There is also a “Customer eligibility” section to target a specific group of customers, specific customers or allow everyone to use the discount.
- The “Usage limits” section allows you to limit the number of times a customer can use the discount or limit the number of times the discount can be used in total.
- Lastly, set a start date and start time as well as an end date as well. If you set an expiration date for a discount, then it will deactivate at 11:59:59 PM on that day.
How to Create Automatic Discounts
The steps are the same as above.
Shopify store owners can offer customers discounts that apply automatically at checkout. Just like for the manual discounts, you can create percentage, fixed amount, or buy X get Y automatic discounts.
For an automatic discount to apply the right way, your customers need to add all eligible products to their cart, including the items that they need to buy to qualify for the discount and items that they get as part of the promotion.
You can have only one active automatic discount at a time. Plus, automatic discounts take precedence over discount codes, which means customers cannot apply several different discounts to one order. If the customer has an automatic discount applied to their checkout, then they can’t use any other discount code.
Important Things You Should Know About Discount Codes for Shopify
- You can duplicate a discount on a mobile device (in the Shopify mobile app)
- A discount code can apply to a maximum of 100 specific products and variants.
- There is a limit of 20,000,000 unique discount codes for each Shopify store.
- Discount codes can’t be activated when an automatic discount is in use.
- Try not to use special characters in the name of the discount code.
- If you add a product variant to a discounted collection, then the discount applies to every version of the product.
- The majority of discounts cannot be applied to gift cards. However, a product-specific discount can work if the product is a gift card.
EcomBack Has Stellar Shopify Store Services for Your eCommerce Business
EcomBack is a Shopify Partner with a ton of experience providing top-notch Shopify store design and development services. Our team has worked with a wide range of e-commerce sites to build Shopify stores with custom themes and out-of-this-world features and designs.
Don’t be afraid to reach out to us if you have any more queries regarding your online Shopify store or if you need other ways to improve your e-commerce bu