View Video Transcript
Learn About Magento 2 Categories with EcomBack
If you have a lot of products on your website, the greatest way to organize them is to group them into categories. That way, you can manage them easily and it also improves the website’s navigation, simplifying your customers’ product search.
Magento is a powerful open-source e-commerce platform that allows you to manage your online store design, appearance, functionality, and content effortlessly. Magento Commerce includes a variety of extensions, ready-made themes, and templates to increase the functionality of your business.
In Magento 2, the category structure of your catalog kind of resembles an upside-down tree, with the root (Default Category) at the top. Categories can be dragged and dropped and each section can be expanded and collapsed. The categories that are disabled or hidden are in gray. You can create as many additional subcategories as needed.
EcomBack is here to help you out. Learn how to add categories in Magento 2 below.
How to Add Categories in Magento 2
- First, go to Catalog > Categories
- In the “category tree,” select the parent category of the new category. The parent is one level above the new category.
2a. If you are starting from the very beginning, there might be only two categories in the list: A default Category and an Example category. Never delete the Default Category.
- Select Add Subcategory to create a category.
- Fill out the information:
4a. Make sure to Enable the Category and choose whether to include it in the Menu.
4b. Give the category a Name.
4c. Upload the Category Image.
- Configure the Display Settings and set the arrangement of the products in the category.
- In the Display Mode, you choose what to display in the category: products only, static block only or both of these combined.
6a. Available Product Listing Sort By field allows you to choose what customers will be able to sort products by.
6b. In the Default Product Listing Sort By, set the default that will be applied to the products that will be displayed to the customers.
- Enter the Meta Information into the Search Engine Optimization section. This includes Meta Title, Meta Keywords, and Meta Description.
- Select which products you want in the category by marking the checkbox next item. You can search for them by either typing the Name, SKU, Status, or Price.
- For Design, there are two options available. First you can Use Parent Category Setting, meaning the setting set for the Magento 2 default category.
- Once you’ve finished, press the Save button. Make sure you see the category appear in the list.
Also, adding a subcategory under this main category is simple. All you have to do is make sure the category is selected before pressing “Add Subcategory” once again.
If you face any challenges while creating categories in Magento 2, email us and we can work with you step-by-step!
Magento eCommerce Development Services
EcomBack specializes in E-Commerce Online Store Design and Development and the use of Magento, the open-source e-commerce platform. We have a team of Magento Developers that can take care of integration, custom themes, creating payment gateways, shipping methods, developing features, and customization. We offer completely customized Magento 2 solutions that are just what your business and website need.
Get a free consultation today!